Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Audi S3 / A3 Fuse Box location

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
It doesn't matter, but I would probably use the 7.5 amp on the acc power.

I would suggest getting this product and then wiring it up to your fuse box. This way you can just plug in your dash cam.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disc...qid=1484185827&sr=1-1&keywords=magic+blackvue

Additionally this box prevents the dash cam of drawing too much battery after you've shut off your car.

Do you suggest 7.5 on the constant fuse and 10 on the accessory or the other way around?

I purchased this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G6KHWAS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery capacity - 3.7V/200mAh, Charging voltage is 5V

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
Thanks. I can't tell which cable would connect to my dash cam.. Is there something else I need to buy?

It doesn't matter, but I would probably use the 7.5 amp on the acc power.

I would suggest getting this product and then wiring it up to your fuse box. This way you can just plug in your dash cam.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disc...qid=1484185827&sr=1-1&keywords=magic+blackvue

Additionally this box prevents the dash cam of drawing too much battery after you've shut off your car.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thanks. I can't tell which cable would connect to my dash cam.. Is there something else I need to buy?
That product is all you need. There are three wires on one end that powers the box. On the other end is a 12v plug which you can use to directly plug your dash cam into. What's great about this is that you can setup that box to stay on until it sense that battery is low and shut off.

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
New guy here trying to wire in my Blackvue and Magic Pro. I saw the info posted by S3 Fan, which is great. My only issue is I used some "Add a circuits" on fuse location 38 and 48 but I get no power. The fuse also seems to be sort of loose in spot 38. When I looked closer, there was only a copper contact to grab the fuse on the top portion of the fuse slot, not both parts of the slot. I checked and rechecked my grounding location. I grounded it to the screw that is down and to the left of the fuse box location. Do you think since these fuses aren't in use on US cars, that they have not made the circuit active in the new models? I do have a volt meter, but I don't know which setting to put it on to test for power. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
this is actually a pretty fun little project.
after researching more about this car, personally I wouldn't tap into the fuse box but I would actually draw directly from the battery or even get a dedicated battery for this and any other add on feature in the future.
there are also great add on tap connectors that would make this look way more professional. looking professional is just for looks but it will function like oem or better which means it will be safer in the long run.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I just had a BlackVue DR650S-2Ch installed in my S3. I love it. I will post a couple pics later today (after I take them). For anyone commuting long distances, it is cheap insurance from all the asshats on the road. The camera system was $407 with the Power Magic and a 128 micro SD card.

OP
GlacierS3
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Thread Starter #28
New guy here trying to wire in my Blackvue and Magic Pro. I saw the info posted by S3 Fan, which is great. My only issue is I used some "Add a circuits" on fuse location 38 and 48 but I get no power. The fuse also seems to be sort of loose in spot 38. When I looked closer, there was only a copper contact to grab the fuse on the top portion of the fuse slot, not both parts of the slot. I checked and rechecked my grounding location. I grounded it to the screw that is down and to the left of the fuse box location. Do you think since these fuses aren't in use on US cars, that they have not made the circuit active in the new models? I do have a volt meter, but I don't know which setting to put it on to test for power. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you!
What kind of meter do you have?

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
I elected to go hardwired as I wanted it to be a invisible as possible - no wires or other parts visible, where possible.

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
does the hardwire version have a back up battery built in?

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
does the hardwire version have a back up battery built in?
The magic pro doesn't have a battery backup but it uses your cars battery and prevents the dash cam from over draining. The box works perfectly and I can normally get 2-3 days of recording in parking mode without? ever starting? the car.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
pictures.....

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Here is the front camera installed to the passenger's side of the rear view mirror, hardwired. (sorry for the size, I am very picture challenged :()
OH - I have a 7" limo-tint strip across the top of my windshield.

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Here's where I mounted mine.

wzy104

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
Looking for some guidance here. I plan to hardwire a dash cam via add-a-fuse. All the youtube videos I've seen are of wire tap utilizing an already in use fuse which plugs into the lower part (closest to the two prongs) of the add-a-fuse while the new fuse is plugged into the top portion. I would like to try on an untapped slot so there's only one fuse. Do I plug that fuse into the top portion or the bottom portion of the add-a-fuse?

Sorry, I'm very new to this so I don't know the terminology used.

ADM17

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
If it's an unused slot, you'll put the fuse into the top slot of the wire tap. The instructions that the wire tap comes with should explain that. Let me know if you have any luck using an unused slot. Also, what year is your car? I have a 2017 and tried slots 38 and 48 and couldn't get power. I can't find my multimeter either, so I'll have to buy a new one.

wzy104

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3
I have a 2016. Haven't gotten around to buy the dash cam yet since I'm busy fixing/messing w/ my 02 IS300 atm but I will let you know when I get around to installing the cam.